By working through this chapter, you will be able to:
- Investigate a case study that raises issues of natural resource extraction and protection, ethics, spirituality, and action.
- Explain the science behind the formation of natural resources: Earth's tectonic plates, spheres, elements, and biogeochemical cycles.
- Describe Earth's resources and the problems caused by human extraction.
- Examine potential innovations for future natural resource availability and protection.
- Identify key ethical issues that bear on the conservation, preservation, restoration, and preemptive care of Earth's natural resources.
- Discover a variety of ways human beings have historically linked Earth's magnificent resources with spiritual experience as well as teachings and rituals in the world's religions.
- See environmental actions people are taking around the world to protect natural resources and consider actions you can take in your own community.