- Investigate a case study that raises issues of natural resource extraction and protection, ethics, spirituality, and action.
- Understand how plants, soil, and animals transfer energy and cycle nutrients in natural and agricultural ecosystems.
- Describe the main technological developments of agriculture in the modern age.
- Know the environmental challenges posed by industrial agriculture and the solutions offered by sustainable agriculture.
- Recognize the foundations and norms that should guide our ethical decisions about growing, transporting, processing, marketing, and disposing of food.
- Discover the close connection between food and spirituality in human cultures around the world.
- See how people are addressing food and agriculture challenges around the world and consider actions that are possible to do in one's own community and personal life.
By working through this chapter, you will be able to do the following: