By working through this chapter, you will
- Investigate a case study that integrates issues of food science, ethics, spirituality, and action.
- Understand how plants, soil, and animals transfer energy and cycle nutrients in natural and agricultural ecosystems.
- Describe the main technological developments of agriculture in the modern age.
- Know the environmental challenges posed by the industrial food system and the solutions offered by sustainable food systems.
- Recognize the foundations and norms that should guide our ethical decision-making when it comes to producing, processing, distributing, consuming, and disposing food.
- Discover the close connection between food and spirituality in human cultures around the world.
- See how people are addressing food and agriculture challenges around the world and consider actions that are possible in your own community and personal life.