By working through this chapter, you will be able to:
- Investigate a case study that raises issues of energy science, ethics, spirituality, and action.
- Explain the basic science of energy including the similarities between energy and work and the distinction between potential and kinetic energy.
- Describe the different types of energy and show how energy can be transformed from one form to another.
- Differentiate between renewable and non-renewable energy sources and explain the advantages and potential drawbacks of each.
- Analyze ethical issues concerning energy availability, access, and use.
- Discover the variety of ways energy and spirituality have been related in world religions.
- See environmental actions people are taking around the world that address energy challenges. Consider actions you can take in your own community.