By working through this chapter, you will be able to:
- Investigate a case study that raises key issues concerning biodiversity.
- Identify the ecosystem services provided by biodiversity.
- Explain the relationship between biodiversity and evolution.
- Describe Earth's major biomes and aquatic ecosystems.
- Discuss current major threats to biodiversity.
- Analyze key ethical challenges concerning biodiversity and understand the moral principles, goals, and virtues important for guiding decisions that affect Earth's plant and animal life.
- Describe the ways in which biodiversity has been spiritually experienced and expressed by human beings for thousands of years.
- Learn about action taking place in the world today to address threats to biodiversity. Consider a possible action that addresses a biodiversity threat in your community.