By working through this chapter, you will:
- Investigate a case study that raises issues of natural resource science, ethics, spirituality, and action.
- Learn key points in the science of natural resources: Earth’s tectonic plates, spheres, elements, and biogeochemical cycles.
- Explore Earth’s resources and the problems caused by human extraction.
- Examine innovations for future natural resource availability and protection.
- Identify key ethical issues concerning the conservation, preservation, restoration, and preemptive care of Earth’s natural resources.
- Discover a variety of ways human beings have historically linked Earth’s resources with spiritual experience and religious teachings and rituals.
- See actions people are taking around the world to protect natural resources.