The availability of food to hungry people is major challenge in the world today. The challenge varies according to regions. Below are samples of how this and other food issues and actions are being taken up in each of six regions of the world.1
It is estimated that the food wasted in China each year could feed 100 million people. In the Asia Pacific region, food waste and food loss along the supply chain has been recognized as a major problem. Can there be a ‘technology fix’ to this problem? Read this report.
Questions to Consider
Select a country from a world region you have never visited and do some fact-finding about food.
- What are the major challenges related to food in the country?
- Is food available to the majority of the people in the country?
- Does the government have any policies to increase the quality and availability of food in the country?
- How healthy is your eating? Brainstorm and identify the types of food you would recommend for healthy eating, considering the needs of your area.
- Work as a team to argue why you would recommend sustainable farming methods instead of conventional farming and organize a discussion in your school on the importance of sustainable farming.